Is my mash ready?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Whitecap72
Novice
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 vii:00 pm

Is my mash ready?

Hi all. And then I made up a 12 gallon sugariness feed mash eight days ago. I'm fermenting in a 20 gallon food grade garbage tin can. Been 60degrees in the garage pretty steady. When I pull the lid off and wait at it, I tin can see it bubble every now and so, and there is a head of grain on tiptop. What's the best manner to tell if it's ready to distill? Never ran a feed mash before, simply fruit washes.


User avatar

Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun February 03, 2013 4:42 pm
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Is my brew fix?

Post by Soft batch » Sat January 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Hydrometer, a inexpensive necessary investment! Brusque of that, if it'south bubbling the yeast is withal working - await until it stops bubbling and the launder clears - the cap will sink.
60 degrees is likewise cool for most yeast - if you have a yeast that works at that temp, information technology will exist slow.


User avatar

acfixer69
Site Modern
Posts: 4201
Joined: Monday Dec 20, 2010 3:34 pm
Location: CT USA

Re: Is my brew ready?

Mail past acfixer69 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Taste information technology if information technology's sour/dry it'due south done if it's sweet information technology's not. Fermenting at sixty F is sloooow even with ale yeast.

Ac


User avatar

jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 eight:57 pm

Re: Is my mash gear up?

Post past jon1163 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:47 pm

+1 on watching for the grain cap to sink and for sure get a hydrometer. This might sound kind of airheaded but I would get a cheap stethoscope and only listen to the side of the fermenter. You'll hear it bubbling away and you'll notice and marked difference when information technology stops. If you're not deaf yous can put your ear to it likewise. Information technology's fun to listen to but maybe I'm just hands entertained.


Whitecap72
Novice
Posts: 42
Joined: Dominicus Nov 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: Is my mash ready?

Post by Whitecap72 » Sat January 13, 2018 2:25 pm

I have a spirits hydrometer, and use it for proofing. What am i looking for to see if its done. I used bread yeast.



Whitecap72
Novice
Posts: 42
Joined: Sunday November 12, 2017 seven:00 pm

Re: Is my mash ready?

Post past Whitecap72 » Saturday Jan 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Ok, i have 1 of those as well. I just took a reading with the spirits hydrometer and it was below the aught mark on the tralle lines. I tasted the brew too, and its not at all sweet..


User avatar

Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun February 03, 2013 4:42 pm
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Is my brew fix?

Mail by Soft batch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Bread yeast at 60 will take a couple months to ferment, if at all. It's optimum temp is low to mid 80's. Yous'll need to warm it up - aquarium heater, brew belt, heat lamp.


User avatar

Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 iv:42 pm
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Is my brew fix?

Post by Soft batch » Saturday Jan 13, 2018 2:49 pm

If it'due south beneath zero, information technology is gear up to go!


Whitecap72
Novice
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: Is my brew ready?

Mail by Whitecap72 » Sabbatum Jan 13, 2018 3:24 pm

It was below cipher on the spirits hydrometer. You thinks it's ready? Information technology didn't gustation sweetness, and smells like beer wart.


User avatar

acfixer69
Site Mod
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:34 pm
Location: CT The states

Re: Is my mash ready?

Mail service by acfixer69 » Sat January 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Whitecap72 wrote:Ok, i take one of those likewise. I simply took a reading with the spirits hydrometer and it was beneath the zero mark on the tralle lines. I tasted the mash too, and its not at all sweetness..

s

I'd run it now.

Air-conditioning


User avatar

still_stirrin
Primary Distiller
Posts: 9279
Joined: Tue Mar eighteen, 2014 seven:01 am
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Is my brew set up?

Postal service by still_stirrin » Sat January 13, 2018 3:57 pm

I call up information technology wise to find your brewer's hydrometer and check the gravity for real.

I think you're not done really, peculiarly if information technology smells like a beer wort. If it was close to finished it would smell sour, like lemonade. So cheque it earlier racking to the boiler. And warming information technology up will give the brewers yeast a "kicking in the seat of the pants".

Exercise it correct...you'll be rewarded in the finish.
ss


User avatar

Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun February 03, 2013 iv:42 pm
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Is my mash ready?

Post past Soft batch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:00 pm

A spirit hydrometer is worthless in a launder, in an undistilled wash volition ever be beneath naught as it contains more than but alcohol and water.

Both hydrometers expect like but are completely different instruments. A spirit hydrometer is calibrated to measure the booze to h2o ratio in a solution with the supposition that the solution only contains h2o and alcohol (no sugars, starches, yeast, etc). A spirit hydrometer show a scale 0-100. Zero on a spirit hydrometer ways it has no alcohol content.

A brewing hydrometer measures specific gravity (impurities) in relation to pure water - in our globe, nosotros are measuring sugar content. The scale on a brewing hydrometer is typically .990 to 1.200. 1.00 on brewing hydrometer means it is equal in density to pure h2o. A typical launder will actually go beneath nothing when it'due south done fermenting due the solution containing h2o + alcohol(lighter than water) instead of water + sugars (heavier than h2o).

Technically the baseline 1.000 on the brewers and 0 on the spirit hydrometer are the same (pure H2O) - just are scaled in different directions.

Edited to right baseline

Terminal edited past Soft batch on Sat January 13, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar

still_stirrin
Master Distiller
Posts: 9279
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:01 am
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Is my brew ready?

Postal service by still_stirrin » Sabbatum Jan xiii, 2018 4:14 pm

Soft batch wrote:...Technically zero on both hydrometers are the same (pure H2O) - only are scaled in dissimilar directions.

Almost....h2o with a brewer'south hydrometer is 1.000 (or zero alcohol "potential", I estimate). But the point you've made is 100% correct. For the OP, a spirit hydrometer is the incorrect tool to measure out a ferment'southward progress. A brewer's hydrometer is the right tool.

But to the OP, I actually suspect you're not done all the same, so brand certain you check the gravity with the correct tool. You really tin't judge progress by the bubble activity, especially if you're looking at the bubbles forming in the fermenter. If the launder is too absurd to ferment, activity may slow down to a clamber. But you may still have more fermentable textile in your wash and y'all don't desire to dump that down the drain considering of a lack of patience.
ss


Whitecap72
Novice
Posts: 42
Joined: Sunday Nov 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: Is my mash ready?

Post by Whitecap72 » Sat January 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Ok, then I found my brewers hydrometer. It came out at 1.021 is information technology ready to distill?


User avatar

Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 197
Joined: Sunday Feb 03, 2013 4:42 pm
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Is my mash fix?

Post by Soft batch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 v:37 pm

NO - should exist ane.000 or beneath. You still take a skillful amount of sugars to ferment.


Whitecap72
Novice
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 vii:00 pm

Re: Is my mash ready?

Post by Whitecap72 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Ok, thank yous. I'll wait it out. Fourth dimension for a heater, or move my fermenter into the kitchen.


User avatar

still_stirrin
Master Distiller
Posts: 9279
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:01 am
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Is my brew set?

Mail past still_stirrin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 half dozen:04 pm

Whitecap72 wrote:Ok, give thanks you. I'll wait it out. Time for a heater, or motility my fermenter into the kitchen.

:clap: :clap: :clap:


Whitecap72
Novice
Posts: 42
Joined: Lord's day November 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: Is my mash ready?

Post by Whitecap72 » Saturday Jan 13, 2018 half dozen:42 pm

Moved my fermenter into the corner of the kitchen, yeast should be happy again.


User avatar

Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 v:44 pm
Location: Colorad-y fashion

Re: Is my brew set up?

Post by Honest_Liberty » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:47 am

having trouble finding the right mode to search for this answer:

my Booner's casual is reading 0.000 only I'm withal seeing bubbling activity. the cap fell and it appears to be cleaning (definitively separated already) but if it could go to .996 or .994 I'd feel much better every bit my SG was just 1.040 at 1.four #/gallon.

Thoughts? I may also have still fatigue. I've run almost a dozen strips and a few spirit runs since Nov. Today is the all-time solar day I take to run it considering time constraints, only the way the superlative was bubbles, I don't desire to exit whatsoever alcohol backside.

image25.jpg

Concluding edited past Honest_Liberty on Friday Mar 05, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 fourth dimension in total.

Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatsoever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste


User avatar

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:x pm
Location: PNW

Re: Is my mash ready?

Postal service by Deplorable » Thu Mar 04, 2021 i:33 pm

Honest_Liberty wrote: ↑

Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:47 am

having trouble finding the right way to search for this answer:

my Booner'south casual is reading 0.000 just I'm yet seeing bubbling activity. the cap fell and information technology appears to be cleaning (definitively separated already) just if information technology could become to .996 or .994 I'd feel much meliorate every bit my SG was only i.040 at 1.4 #/gallon.

Thoughts? I may as well have still fatigue. I've run almost a dozen strips and a few spirit runs since November. Today is the all-time day I have to run it considering fourth dimension constraints, only the way the top was bubbling, I don't desire to get out whatsoever alcohol behind.

I left my bourbon on the grain for a calendar week afterward information technology looked washed on the hydrometer. Then racked and squeezed, and left it for another 2 to 3 weeks before I stripped it, and another iii weeks before I ran the spirit run. Have a break. Information technology will exist at that place when you get dorsum.

Concluding edited by Sad on Thu Mar 04, 2021 half-dozen:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Use all your senses, and its not that hard. Y'all just have to pay attention.
Procrastinate, you'll make better whiskey.


User avatar

River Rat
Swill Maker
Posts: 307
Joined: Monday Dec 28, 2020 viii:34 pm
Location: Apple tree-atcha

Re: Is my mash ready?

Post by River Rat » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:33 pm

Whitecap72 wrote: ↑

Sabbatum January 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Been 60degrees in the garage pretty steady.

If you brand a little tent around your fermenter (I utilize reflective insulation) a light seedling should go it enough warm enough. My building is steady at about 45*F right now and i 100W bulb on a drop cord is keeping a xx gallon ferment at 78*.

Plain ole pot rig.


User avatar

Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner
Posts: 580
Joined: Midweek Nov 01, 2017 5:44 pm
Location: Colorad-y way

Re: Is my mash set up?

Mail by Honest_Liberty » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:42 am

Distressing wrote: ↑

Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:33 pm

I left my bourbon on the grain for a calendar week after it looked done on the hydrometer. Then racked and squeezed, and left it for some other 2 to 3 weeks before I stripped it, and another three weeks earlier I ran the spirit run. Take a break. Information technology volition be there when y'all get back.

You sanitized before y'all strained?
I'd be concerned with sanitation on the stuff I won't through the mop wringer, even though I greatly sanitize.

Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste


User avatar

Lamentable
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Is my mash gear up?

Post by Deplorable » Fri Mar 05, 2021 vii:59 am

When I clasp, I spray down the mop wringer with star-san solution and go out it sit down while I rack of the cleared wash into clean buckets likewise sprayed down with star-san.

Aside from a hot soapy h2o wash to remove any solids, that's all I do in the way of sanitization.
I make up a bucket total of solution to soak siphon hoses and racking pump.

Use all your senses, and its non that hard. You just have to pay attention.
Procrastinate, you'll make amend whiskey.


User avatar

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator
Posts: 3202
Joined: Thu February 27, 2014 6:14 pm
Location: Expect Upwards

Re: Is my mash ready?

Post past ShineonCrazyDiamond » Fri Mar 05, 2021 one:35 pm

You may get a lacto. But remember the brewer'south motto. Nothing that tin impairment y'all volition abound in fermented beer :thumbup:

"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
Yous reached for the secret besides soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."


Limp
Novice
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:11 pm

Re: Is my mash prepare?

Mail service by Limp » Mon December 13, 2021 10:x am

I'grand in the same state of affairs. My mash has been fermenting for about half-dozen days now. My hydrometer reading was 0, but my mash is however
Bubbling. I used bread yeast. My brew is in my kitchen. My house stays at 74 degrees. After reading some of these reply'due south, I wonder if I demand to put a blanket around my fermenter and increase the temperature.